We got three more eggs from our ladies (they’re no longer “girls”)! Now we know there are at least two of them laying, since the shells are different colors.
Anyway, back to Frugal Friday: dog treats are really easy to make, and you can usually throw them together with things you probably already have in your pantry. I use and build off of this vegan dog treat recipe, which uses flax seeds and oats as healthy additions instead of just flour:
- 3/4 c. peanut butter
- 1 c. oats
- 2/3 c. flour
- 1/4 c. ground flax seeds
- 2/3 c. water
Preheat oven to 375° F and lightly grease two baking sheets. Mix together all ingredients and roll the dough out on a floured surface to about 1/4″ thickness. Then you can cut out shapes using cookie cutters (or if you’re lazy like me, use a pizza cutter to cut squares or diamonds). Transfer treats to baking sheets and cook for 12-15 minutes- you can flip them halfway through, but you don’t have to. They’re done when the bottoms and sides are slightly toasted. They’ll crisp up as they cool down.
Alterations and additions:
- Instead of the peanut butter, use 2 c. ground peanuts (raw or roasted, but not salted) and 1 T. canola oil.
- Add shredded carrots, apple peels, or beet skins.
- Add fresh parsley and mint to freshen breath.
- Our dogs love 1 T. nutritional yeast mixed in.
- Add an egg for binding, then omit some of the water.